Day #1 of 30 Day Minimalist Challenge

So here we are, Day 1 of the 30 Day Minimalism Game.

Unfortunately I've not found anyone to partner up with, which is a real shame as I think that would help to keep things interesting, having someone to talk to about it. Not to worry though, I shall soldier on alone - Billy No Mates! I'm going to make one small amendment to the rule that says "Whatever you do, each material possession must be out of your house—and out of your life—by midnight each day". If an item is listed on eBay with 99p start, no reserve (i.e. it'll have to sell) then that's the same as gone.

I decided that yesterday's donation to the Blind School didn't count as that was something that my wife was planning on doing anyway - the bag was already in her car.

So first up is something that I have been meaning to get rid of for years, literally years. When we got married an elderly neighbour bought us a small vase. It wasn't our style so it was put in a cupboard, still in the box, still with the sticker on. There it has stayed for 24 years! It has survived 2 house moves but never been out of its box. We'd always said that we would get rid of it but just never got around to it.

I did undertake a quick eBay search to see if this was now a valuable antique. Sadly not, it was worth about £8. So off it went to the Oxfam shop. Oxfam is a charity that I have supported for many years so they will be my charity shop of choice for this endeavour.

1 down, 509 to go!

I've only just worked that out, that if I can divest myself of n items per day until day n (where n is 1:1:30) then that amounts to a massive 510 items in 30 days. Wow, that's going to take some doing. I wonder how far I will get? There is a big temptation to do a massive clear out right now but I guess I ought to resist that so I can save up some items for later in the game.

I wonder what I'm going to get rid of tomorrow? I think I need to save up CDs & DVDs for some of the higher number days.

Comments

Popular Posts