Day #6 of 30 Day Minimalist Challenge

I'm starting to realise that not as many things as I thought around our house are just mine. I suppose that is a natural by-product of having been with the same person for nearly 30 years but the vast majority of our possessions are exactly that, ours. I've made a deliberate decision just to get rid of my own things and it's starting to get a little harder.

I still have a load of books, CDs and clothes to go at though but I've been holding those back as this is only day 6! I might need to start dipping into them soon at this rate. I've also pushed back on anything sentimental for now. Let's pick off the low-hanging fruit first. So that old model racing car is still there. I never look at it or do anything with it, it's not on display and it wasn't even a particularly treasured childhood toy so I suppose it will go eventually. Today is not the day though. Today we have another assortment of random things, this time culled from my bedside locker.


The box from a really nice pen that I sadly lost on a train, the box of a cheap digital watch, a badge from a conference, a battered set of cheap headphones that I don't use, a football card of Gareth Ainsworth from 2000 (an in joke with a friend, "Ha ha thanks" & then put in cupboard) and an old, broken watch that I had when I was at school. 

None of these are worth anything financially or emotionally so they are going in the bin or recycling box. Most of them though I have been holding onto for years without using. Was I hoarding or just lazy? Or was it the dreaded 'just in case'?

I think that I will need to get a box together for charity shop donations soon as I will run out of things that I need to just bin at some point.


Comments

Popular Posts